Thursday, July 5, 2012

Play in the Rain

Sitting under the gazebo one morning as the clouds roll in and the thunder can be heard from a far. The hot summer days almost to much to bare, hoping for rain to soften the heat. We hear it start to sprinkle on the tin roof and smile, for it is bring a much need relief to the land. I look over and ask the old sage "why do people run in out of the rain when it is a blessing nature has gave us?". He simple replied with a smile as always "it is old programming that we have yet to get rid of." At this point I began to think as I watched our friends run in and out of the gazebo to the house.

As a child I loved to be out in the storms; I could feel them before they came. I thought everyone could feel them. I played in the rain and thunder, but when my grandmother saw me out there she would yell "get back in the house, you will catch cold!". Our parents were taught by their parents and so on, about the danger of the weather. This is because back in history the flu took thousands of lives and was believed that the rain had something to do with. When we are children we are programmed to stay out of the weather, no matter what kind, if it is not a sunny day we might get sick. We take this programming with us as adults. So we run in out of the rain to stay well.

That day under the gazebo I stepped out into the rain and stood there. The rain felt so wonderful running down my face and body, washing away the sweat and negativity of the day. It was so prefect standing there, it felt like just me and rain were one. It occurred to me in that moment that we forget to let the nature truly be apart of our lives. We are in a nature religion yet we still tend to be removed from it. Why do we let ourselves be removed from the very thing that we say all the time is a part of us? As we grow as religion let us not forget to step out the door into the nature no matter the weather and feel a part of nature.

Just My Thoughts

Amanda Hanks


1 comment: